Are you looking for some great, beginner’s brewing recipes? Why not try Mead.
Mead , or honey wine, is made from honey and water via fermentation with yeast and can be still, carbonated, or sparkling. Meads range from dry, semi-sweet, or sweet. The earliest archaeological evidence for the production of mead dates to around 7000 BC. Mead is very adaptable, meaning you can change it significantly by doing things at different times. For example, the taste of mead can be changed by something as simple as pitching in flavors, fruits and spices before it ferments or even pitching them in after the ferment is done.
Ingredients/Supplies for Sweet Mead
- 18 lbs of Honey
- 4 gallons of spring water
- 2 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
- 2 teaspoons of yeast energizer
- 2 packets of Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast (or suitable replacement)
- You mix a batch of water and Honey (around 4 gallons of water and 12-15 pounds, or 4-5 quarts of honey. You usually heat this mixture, but doing so is not mandatory.)
- You add yeast and yeast nutrition to the honey water mix. The yeast will consume up the honey and transform it into Mead. Adding some kind of store-bought or random nutrient (such as lemon peels or tea leaves) to the mixture so the yeast can grow is a good idea.
- You let it sit for a period of time, about two weeks for the initial fermentation to occur. Following this you move it to a large clear bottle for observational purposes. Keep it in this new glass bottle for another two weeks to two months until it ceases to bubble.
- Place your mead into individual bottles and store it. Depending on how much honey you put in the mixture it will be ready to drink anywhere from 4 months (less honey) to a year (more honey).
And there you have it. Now that you know how easy it is to make mead you begin thinking about how you’re going to label each bottle of your delicious honey-sweet drink. You can try Labels on the Fly for a wide range of expertly designed, uniquely shaped, colorful wine labels and hang tags that are sure to give your newly made mead that stylishly customized, professional flare you want it to have.