While there are really no real rules when choosing the best wine for each occasion, you’ll probably want to take into consideration who’s coming to the event (certain people have certain wine preferences) and, if there’s food at the event, what’s being served (pairing food and wine together can be fairly easy if you have a rough idea of what you’re doing).
Wine is meant to complement certain occasions and dishes.
With that having been said, here are a few ‘soft’ guidelines to help you choose the right wine for the right occasion.
- White wines are often used for starting off an evening on the right foot, and are also wonderful for toasts and special occasions.
- Champagne is a regular fixture at weddings and is indispensable at such occasions.
- Red wines are great for main courses and are typically served during the latter part of any occasion. Their full bodied nature makes them a great complement to hearty meals.
- Pinot Noir is not as heralded as Merlot or Cabernet, so many people may not recognize its unique blend, but it goes well with creamy sauces.
- Shiraz is a fiery complement to spicy dishes, and its taste can enhance the flavor in barbecues and roasts.
- Chianti is the best wine to accompany tomato dishes and poultry.
When choosing what wine you want to bring to a special occasion you should also consider how it will be presented during the occasion.
For example, will you be branding your bottle for the occasion? If so Labels on the Fly offers a wide variety of decorative, customizable holiday, wedding, and birthday themed wine labels and hang tags.
Sometimes the look of the bottle can represent whats inside it.
Above all, though, if your instinct cries out for a special type of wine for a special occasion go with it. Your instinct is usually right, especially if its in an area you’re experienced in.
Good luck on picking your wine, and stay tuned for more wine making tips and recipes!